Thursday, November 15, 2007

happenings

this last weekend I ran in a foot race in the organs. it was called, and was at, the Baylor Pass Mountain Trail in the organs. I'd been training for 3 weeks with two friends--Joe Chavez, roomate, and Chris, americorps. we'd run the canal trails (read: sewage troughs) twice a week, getting to the point where we weren't dying too much. we also ran the actual baylor trail the week before the race. that was the second time I'd run it, the race being the third, and the trail is pretty brutal. it's not badwater or anything, meaning you can finish it pretty easily, but still a very difficult trail to sustain anything effort laden. the terrain is rocky, alternating between chossy up-stepping and slightly-upward to level switchbacking. from the cruces side (west side) it's 4 miles to the saddle, upon which the entire tularosa basin opens with views of the sweeping bowl of the east side organs and aguirre springs. truly spectacular and towering heights that well distract you from the descent which is equally perilous.

going up is all lungs and will; you have to find something managable and stick with it, trusting your lungs and heart to get you up. I've never yet truly run all the way to the top. race day is the closest I got to that but some parts are literally stepping up the equivalent of two stairs at a time on rocks and dust. going down after the saddle is almost no lungs at all, instead switching to legs and arms. all you really have to do on the down is keep your legs under you and strong, lest ye tumble. it's really fun bounding and leaping like a... human?

race day I placed 23rd in a field of 150-200, and 5th in my age bracket (100+). my time was 1hr.3min. hope to break the hour mark next year, but didn't really see anywhere to shave 3 minutes this year. I felt pretty light-headed and hot/cold upon finishing. deep breaths and gatorade helped me regain my composure. anyways running has been fun lately and simple to just run out the door.

also doing yoga for this month (paid $40 to go unlimited this month). the studio is within walking distance and it's nice to get out and stretch. I just think they lay on a lot of extra bullshit. it's like, "ok, now gently pull on your big toe and touch your nose to your knees. hold the stretch and find your razor's edge. also, feel free to invite the four elements into yourself, or just select elements to battle other select elements within you, for example fire could battle water, or puppy could battle robot. and release."

at the end you do shivasana or 'corpse pose,' which is literally laying on your back, palms up, for 15 minutes. not sure what I'm paying for there. teach is all like, "breath out, releasing mind body and spirit.' I's exhales... soul is gone. or is it? I can't stop thinking about world war hulk and if hulk is really gonna let mr. fantastic kill tony starks. yoga seems to be good for other things though, like when I bend over and it doesn't feel like my hamstrings are going to break.

everybody at school is looking forward to thanksgiving break and, then, end of semester. we all can't wait for it. wonder what that means? more about school later.

for thanksgiving it looks like we'll be joining joe chavez's family in belen, nm, which is about 25 min. south of albq. from there I hope we strike northward to chaco canyon, bisti and de-na-zin wilderness areas, and jemez springs.

then it's back to school for 3 weeks. we come to mn 15th--3rd. see you soon!


coming soon:

"legba tunes the strings"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you want my yoga fire dvd? sweat for free!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Andromedi said...

Good run. next stop, PCT!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker