Tuesday, September 19, 2006

media recommendations

I don't have much to report. I got nothing. What has been going on? The rhythms of quotidia... Grolsch has been on sale lately, so there's been a bit of that. We made some pretty killer omelettes with leeks, scallions, and feta. That is... not news. I've eaten hashbrowns and eggs 3 out of the last 5 days. So that's everything from the diet side of life.

This weekend we got a terrorist threat or something. I don't know if this fear is a postmodern phenomena or just a natural reaction, but it's pretty wild to see the culture of fear in action. What are you gonna do? Someone tells you there's a shooting threat, don't go out on the streets... so you don't go out on the streets. Then they tell you the threat is over and the streets "become" safe again. I think the postmodern aspect is how quickly the information travels and also how true it feels when it hits. How can you question such a thing? In caveman days you would have to see the cougar eat your neighbor before you believed it. But after that it would have been the same thing. If none of this makes sense, just wait for the shooting threat to come to a city near you!

We checked out a small festival in Mesilla. I think it was the Mexican independence day, but I thought that's what 5 de Mayo was. God, I knew that degree in Mexican history was worthless. Damn internet correspondence courses! The festival was fun but also kind of small and lame. We had quesadillas with local cheese and chilis. Simple and tasty. The tortillas down here, even the chips, are noticably better than in the northlands. Here I go with the food again. There's not much else to report from there. No funny characters or strange happening. We saw some Mata Ortiz pottery though--great stuff but not as good as the Mata Ortiz we saw at a gallery in August. Google Mata Ortiz (1st media recommendation). We also saw the old guy that sold us the Saint Elija drawing.

This might all sound kind of lame, but it was actually quite nice. The day was beautiful and we biked out there (4 miles). It was nice to be around a bunch of people in a festive mood. We also had a couple of beers at El Patio when we were there.

Now the media blitz.

That night we saw Little Miss Sunshine. I can recommend this to everyone. It is pretty dark at certain spots, but it's funnier than most movies I've seen recently. I guess I was just surprised by it because I hadn't really heard of it. I just wanted to see a movie that night, and that was the only one that seemed interesting. We were dying during the last 20 minutes.

Next. Blood on the Tracks (Bob Dylan) is blowing my mind. To smithereens. Don't know if ya'll are Dylan fans but this is probably his best album. I haven't really listened to it before this point. I can tell this is going to be one of those albums for me that has strong associations with a time and place. For example, Mason Jennings first album reminds me of the first time we went to folk fest. Sonic Youth's "Sonic Nurse" reminds me of Amsterdam. The Shins' "Chutes Too Narrow" reminds me of living at 119 in the winter, of one weekend in particular. And now I have the distinct feeling that Blood on the Tracks will remind me of my first two months of teaching. Sounds tragic right? Well, I don't really relate to the content of the album. Honestly I hope I never do relate to the content of the album. It's the music of a man with a broken heart--strung out and hung up to dry. I don't know what it is, but this is the album I want to listen to more than any other right now. I think when you need an album like that, you reach for it day after day, that's when you get strong associations between music and time/space.

Anyone feel me on that one? Does that make any sense? What are some of your albums that have the strongest associations?

Last recommend. is Bob Dylan's autobiography (vol. 1), Chronicles. Everyone should read this. I think in the future people will marvel at the time that Dylan walked the earth, like I marvel that my parents could have met Picasso. It was physically possible, however unlikely. Mom and Dad, why didn't you meet Picasso?! He was alive! That's why I ran away. Ok, one more media tip, check out Dylan's new album--that's what got me started on all this. Genius. The man is a mountain.

Like I said, not much to say at this time so I talk up the little things like they are article worthy. I'll leave you with a family scene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker