Wednesday, May 09, 2007

notes on noting

I'm currently having a post-coital cigarette with last week. It was a blurring doozy, perhaps titled the ceramics/birthday week.

my birthday was last wednesday. the day was full of colleagues and students and friends from phone and email wishing me a happy day. and it was a happy day. right when I was leaving the school, I got a call from the potter's guild and they told me that the shipment had arrived and my supplies were waiting for me in the museum parking lot. this was not the call that I wanted to receive. they had just told me that the supplies were coming on thursday, but I guess that's what you get when a bunch of artists try to organize some business. it wasn't a problem though, I just went over to the parking lot and threw a tarp over all of our stuff, to be schlepped the following morning to the school.

at home things were getting kind of suspicious. molly had cleaned the entire house, changed into a nice outfit, and put out a fancy appetizer. ok, maybe these things can just happen on my birthday. but then when I helped her scoop 6 or 7 potatoes into boiling water I started thinking maybe something was up in a good way. no sooner was my suspicion peaked that nearly everyone I know in this city was in my yard singing happy birthday with hats on and foods in hands.

the food was magnifique. pasta salad with plum tomatoes and brie; stuffed mushrooms with couscous and something; garlic mashed; orange-glazed tofu with cilantro and green onions; SUSH!; apps; a growler of IPA for me; wine; more beer; fancy salad; robot cake. I was FULL! it was quite a meal. we've had two of those at our house now and they both turned out greater than the sum of their parts. it's been my experience that group projects rarely have this effect, but I guess when you throw food into the equation some alchemy transpires.

I got kind of drunk off the growler. we patio'd it up and the brownlee girls rapped me a white-girl's birthday rap. joe chavez gave me a t-shirt... that was heather with a turquoise double collar and turquoise double-sleeves; a 6-color wolf that I quickly dubbed "Pine Wolf," and the caption "las cruces New Mexico." It is truly one of the greatest t-shirts I've ever seen. Darcy and Juan gave me an illustrated copy of "the power of myth," from whence chase got his "follow your bliss" slogan. there may have been other gifts and other dishes, but the night became blurry and festive. I apologize to those I missed.

I know I got too much money from the two moms: Nancy and Patti. too much! thanks though, I needed it and it is awesome.

after dinner we went up to the organs and night-bouldered drunkenly on some choss. If you know what that means, KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the next morning I woke up and realized that at 24, I was an adult. and being an adult doesn't mean getting drunk on a wednesday. it means getting drunk on a wednesday, then waking up at 8:00 and forcing your hangover into the shower drain, then assembling a small army of high school students to move 3000 lbs. of ceramics supplies 4 blocks. it was funner than it sounds.

day after that I went to the first art show opening that I was a part of. there was a modest turn-out and some really great scones. the show is, on average, above average. I was pleased to be in such ceramic company. come speech time I was surprised to hear the juror call my name for an honorable mention. she said something about "subtle grace and restraint" and I was thinking, 'I only had one decent glaze.' besides the title I was given a brand new giffin grip. If you are a ceramicist then you might think, like me, oh wow you got a giffin grip for free? yeah! after that I was informed that someone bought my work. after further inquiries I was able to determine that the person was not related to me and did not employ me. my first sale to a stranger! then I found out she was british. somehow that's even better.

that weekend I showed some of my work in the cinco de mayo sale in mesilla. that was not an art buying crowd, but I did manage to net $50 off of 3 pieces. it's like golf: you swear for the first 90% and then something happens right at the end that makes you say, "this is easy! I could do this!"

so that is why I'm now having pillow talk with the gift that was last week. this week is not so bad itself. there are some developments which I'm not at liberty to write but which could hold exciting possibilities for the future. also it hailed last night and the rain came down in great wide and fast sheets, almost solid in their mass, and the moist creosote came wafting down from the organs like it always does when it's wet in the desert.

molly has done a fine job of blogging along with this and in between the gaps. do check that out, I'm sure you have already, and also see photos of the birthday and the show at FLICKR!!!

in the meantime, here is a treat from one of my favorite late-model albums. the band is called the books, the album is called the lemon of pink. their style could be described as "concientious cut and paste," and this song is called take time:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker