Friday, April 13, 2007

fritag

don't ever take my complaints about work seriously. the bottom line is that I have a really kush job. many factors go into this. sure, I may wax depressive about poor management and lack of vision--and these things may be true. but the fact of the matter is that as far as my end of things is concerned, I've got it made here. sure it would be nice to have my salary quadrupled, but in time young jedi, in time.

what brought on this bout of appreciation? I walked into the accountant's office and handed her a fantasy stack of purchase requisition forms. these are the forms we have to fill out to get permission to buy things, and my stack in this instance totaled about $1100. I'm talking fantasy--clay supplies, photo light supplies, hardware store supplies, and shit from business products catalog. the only thing I left out was a request for a pugmill (in time...). I sheepishly hand it to her and mumble something about necessity. she pages through them, reading off the suppliers one by one, in a cursory fashion. without once blinking an eye she looks up at me and smiles, "looks good joe. thanks. have a nice weekend."

sweet.

in related news, I made a major development today in my ceramics skill set. prior to this point, I had not been able to convincingly throw anything above 10 in. I could do it, but it wouldn't be light or pretty. through some complex algorithm of water and hand pressure I have broken the 10 in. barrier. I threw a 13 in, lite weight cylinder from 4 lb. of clay. most people go through their "lightest and tallest" throwing phase in high school or early college. I mostly stuck to small objects and skipped that phase all together. now I'm ready to start. It's kind of embarrassing and kind of exciting--like ALL things in life.

lastly, I finished the 3rd book of the Dune series last night. this book did not grab me right off. in fact, I was ready to set it down about half way through. the first two books were page burners the entire time. the first one especially was a thrill ride (see above locution). the third one was turgid with political "intrigue" and philosophical bullshit. but then, about 2/3 thru the story, the main character forms an indestructible living skin made of sand worms and all hell breaks loose. with the worm skin, Leto II is able to leap off 200 meter cliffs, burst through steel doors, and bend the blades of crysknifes. the book turned out to be a total hell storm of action and death. possibly the best book in the series so far, definitely the least balanced.

one last note: last night molly and I could not sleep for whatever reason (speed). however, after having barely just fell asleep at 1:30 am, we were awoken by a fierce wind which brought rain drops onto the windows. this was a noticibly stronger wind than the already strong winds which have been whipping us desert dwellers lately. you might call it a squall. I battened down the hatches and tried to get back to bed. today, strangely, everyone in school was talking about the crazy ass squall that moved through at 1:30 last night. I talked to at least 10 students and teachers who woke up at the same time as us. I think it might have been some type of restless spirit wind, travelling the country side during the day and sweeping into towns at night to wake up people. it was eerie.

tonite we see grindhouse.

ta

2 Comments:

Blogger j0eb0t-xj9 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here are a couple of artistic representations:

Leto II as a piece of POO:

http://www.collectorsofdune.com/images/toys/custom_godleto_2.jpg

And here is the cosmic bath:

http://boingboing.hexten.net/images/_bubble_Anki-Cosmic-bath.jpg

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker