Wednesday, April 11, 2007

america's favorite blog

I hope everyone got a chance to check out the video I posted last week. It's by Deerhoof, a special band. It must be one of the best animated videos since paranoid android.

so I am going to report on san diego and other happenings, but I've waited a little too long. Most of the happenings are photographed faithfully in molly's flickr page, so do check that as well. I guess the most significant thing to report would be... well, it was a very normal vacation. we ate and drank and talked, smiled and surfed this and that. but it's only when you go home that you realize how you miss it, even though it was only days ago. only at home do you see that you don't get along with most people like you do with your best friends. so at the time everything seems "normal" but it takes a few days of "true normal" to see that quality time spent with close friends is quite exceptional--even if nothing exceptional happens. allow me to just bullet-point some of the san diego highlights:

>elation at the airport as everyone finally came togethera: andys hurt and dwyer, tiffany, molly, ari, and myself (miss and frank at home).

>fried eggs and cinnabon-flavored coffee each morning I stayed with the hurts (and grapes and toast and milk and other goodies).

>crystal-clear perfect sunshine, warm beach sand, and MOIST ocean air blowing me down.

>drinking corona in above-mentioned enviro.

>surfing. trying to surf. surfing a little bit. waking up the next morning and sneaking off with hurt to try more surfing, ditching everyone. actually standing on the board and riding on a wave!

>hurt's pottery.

>trying to make franklin laugh. making franklin laugh. passing franklin off to missy when reality takes over. he simultaneously burped and pooped his pants while I held him close, and he didn't even know how cool that was.

>ari's renditions, particularly stuff from pet sounds and hwy. 61.

>speaking easy at mccoy's good time parlor, est. 1921. meeting charlie moore, bartender, and re-meeting mike blackwell, and meeting ari's friend justin who was awesome.

>being hungover as shit after too much speakeasy. ok, this part sucked.

>eating good-ass thai food at a good-ass thai restaurant.

>long boarding off of hurt's drive way

>sunshine

>playing ceiling ball at ari's

>all the other stuff I'm forgetting or I can't publish for reasons of good conduct in journalism.

san diego was sweet. It was good to see my friends healthy and strong and happy for the most part. chase was sorely missed. I think everyone was reflecting on chase for long portions of the trip though it was generally unspoken. we did toast him royally at mccoy's. yeah. I wish jaimie could have made it out, but I don't blame her. I heard she became a driving instructor, which is kind of fucked up but also comforting.

hopefully these highlights give you a flavor sample of what we were up to. sandiego is a nice city, very beautiful and good-smelling. I can't imagine two more different places than where ari lives (ocean beach, san diego) and where the hurts live (camp pendleton, oceanside, CA). Ok, I can imagine two more different places (Kabul and Kansas City, Hong Kong and Vergas), but the contrast was striking. Ari's neighborhood is closely modeled on the festival campground of the winnipeg folk festival, complete with open-air cannabis consumption and a thriving black market, not to mention the "drummers" and the "dread-locked." Ari both fits in perfectly here and totally is above it or just beyond it. Andy's neighborhood is... a marine base. a very large and complex marine hive. viva la diff. viva dwiffany.

ok so this trip report completely fails as a travelougue. I've got no angle, no conflict. I also had no budget. give me 10 grand and an event to cover and I'll give you the article of a lifetime. no grand and no plot equals blog.

in other news, I was accepted to the juried exhibition, "From the Ground Up," opening night May 4th at the las cruces museum of art. the work selected is called "Misc. Domestics," a title the computer came up with for me! so I'm 1/1 on shows. I think I'll quit now.

lastly, I think I didn't report anything on ben and alex coming out. they deserve a report, but I just don't dig wrap-ups. needless to say, we had many zany moments of belly laughing outrageousness. Ben and Alex are not the best of friends going into this trip, but I knew they would mix well. we mixed all very well. albq made me feel young instead of old. hot springs made me feel tingly. hiking good, rock throwing fun, drinking good and eating much. on that visit we all went to bed most nights very tired, very full of food, and half toasted. that's probably a good sign of intense hedonism and camaraderie.

chow! [sic]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker