Monday, February 12, 2007

early chase

my first memories of chase I cannot pinpoint. my last memories of him are electronically dated.

back to the first. I think I knew him initially throught cub scouts. we both went to parker so that also might be a lead. but I think it was in cub scouts, which I joined because my brother had joined earlier. Chase was the older brother, a slight difference between us that kept a pleasurable itch of a tension in our relationship. What does joel feel now? I can't imagine, nor for his parents. but cub scouts. we were in the same troop, but different... what were they called? shit. packs? dens? I was in dragon with matt boe, matt kapsner (sidejob), ryan harding, that jim kid with his mom genie, and god I feel guilty for forgetting the rest. I'm drunk and my memory is shit to begin with.

we were the dragons. I don't know chase's group. he was with dwyer, grupa, and others--I always envied their group. we didn't mix except at troop 111 meetings at central luthran. "announcements, announcements, ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!" what I truly remember about chase, firstly, is the cub scout olympics. they usually took place at this "scout camp." I can't remember where it was (rum river?) but I remember what it looked like. Is like a presposition? Can I not end a sentence with that? Point being, I remember CHASE, first and foremost, from this "cub scout" "olympics." AND I Apoligize if i can't name any other lovely people that were there, at this time, then, because this is supposed to be about chase. All of your faces are in my mind.

See, the only reason I woudl remember (god dammit--'remember' is a hard word to type!) chase at these events is because he was the star. he was 'A' star. I was competitive when I was much younger (I'm still young) (I'm still competitive). I "REMEMBER" being kind of mad at him, because I thought I was going to win those events--all of them. but Chase took Gold--in mostly everything. He must have won at least a youthful fistful of cub scout olympic medals in his cub scout youthful prime--that son of a beeswaxx.

two events--these I remember especially. First, I remember the 50-yard dash. Chase killed in this. I couldn't hope to best him or anyone in this event; i was more of a distance guy, something I still console myself with to this day. Who was his rival in the 50-yard dash? some upstart from some other group, surely. I can't remember. I feel that in Parker Elementary, which was almost--but no quite--the same thing as troop 111 cub scouts, chase would still take the gold, but he would've had to best the likes of Nate Droogma and... fuck! some other fast kid!

The other event--more formative in my mind--was the "softball toss--" a free-form throw of an oversize-baseball into the ether. I didn't have a chance, but someone from my "sector 12-B" did--and his name was Matt Boe. this dude could toss a ball. However, i think, in keeping with my vague accountings of first memories of chase korte, chase could throw slightly further. and further he did throw--he did. I know, on at least one occasion, Chase took the title on the softball throw. this is my first memory of the man, my dear friend, who is now dead.

Why do I recount such a story? Besides hopefully launching nuggets into the electronic ether (a phrase I've turned more than once in this blurred 'eve), I want to impart something central to my understanding of the man that was known as Chase Korte. that thing is this:

he was a specimen.

Chase Korte was a physical specimen to rival any. From his supple calves to his strong shoulders, this was a man to admire--if you were in to anatomy. Sound perverted? well, not really, if you were one like me, who was able to admire him from childhood onward--a genetic narrative played out in the highest linguistic register. (needless to say, for those that are familiar with the bloodline, Joel Korte, his younger brother, was--is!--fuck how death fucks with our tenses!--also a prized specimen of physical acuity--perhaps more so.) God he was strong.

Which makes my first memory of chase all the bitterer. Think of it. I mean really, think of it. He was a strong boy, awarded with medals for his physical acumen, recognized by many as a purveyor of the athletic ideal. He was involved throughout his formative years in any number of athletics, from the organized basketball leagues to the chase-created sledding leagues on his own backyard. Relish his calves, his torso, and his arms--I did and so did many others, much older than me.

I don't want to spell it out for you--I don' t mean to insult your cognitive skills--but I must spell it out for my own peace of mind. He was burned in a fiery explosion. Apparently, from what I can gather through my cell phone, his car was "an inferno." this is so wrong. I've even heard reports of a "fiery explosion--" something out of a sly stone movie.

what the fuck?

I've been re-working some lyrics from an early Beck song, trying to make myself more comfortable because I'm still alive and that's what we do when we're faced with something as horrific as what we now know of Chase Korte's death. Is this not something that I should publish for the few friends and family and strangers who come across these drunkin ramblings? I don't know. I only know that I am purging myself of 'Chase in the realm of the living' and it hurts.

such a beautiful body/ such a beautiful body
such a beautiful body/ such a beautiful body
and they burned it lord--all the way

yeah they burned it lord--all the way

he was my brother/ he was my brother
he was my brother/ he was my brother
all the way lord--all the way'
all the way lord--all the way

I hope he didn't die screaming/ I hope he didn't die screaming
I hope he didn't die screaming/ I hope he didn't die screaming
sleep quck lay down--all the way
lay him down lord--all the way

he chase the mountains/ he chase the waters
he chase the mountains/ he chase the waters
he chase the heavens, lord--all the way

he chase the heavens lord--all the way

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker