Sunday, May 27, 2007

weeks

molly has left for MN; minneapolis, maple grove, and ely. strange to come home and see the jeep and try to think that she is not in fact here. usually if the jeep is home it means she is here. I have a tough commute like that.

alma graduation went down for 23 seniors on friday night. 3/4 through the ceremony it started raining real hard (we were inside), and a parent I know came up to me while I was spectating and told me, "The school is flooded."

Ok, I've seen the ceiling drip before and put buckets underneath it, thinks I, getting up from my seat and being led to the quote scene unquote. Upon arriving my adrenaline immediately redlines as I see 3 inches of water in the back hallway with more coming through the stairwell door. hmm... I open the stairwell door and water rushes over my feet, coming down through a hole in the corner ceiling (roof) 4 foot by 4 foot, rushing down the wall in a waterfall, with a shitload of insulation and hail messy on the landing, more water pouring down the stairs at me. ok.

we spent two hours pushing water towards mini-zamboni with mops, shoveling up bits of insulation, climbing on the roof and identifying the problem. very... fun. I feel bad for the school, but it will become better because of this. Mr. Dorn was mopping close to underneath the hole and the 4 X 4 chunk fell down and missed him by a foot. He laughed so I laughed and then he bought me beer at high desert with the other americorps. quite a night.

next day cousin bob came. busy busy. we spent saturday meeting people and different places... afternoon picked up joe chavez and with internet directions struck north toward radium springs and eventually a secret area called Broad Canyon, reached by trekking 20 miles west from the freeway over high-clearance necessitated choss. broad canyon paid off big time, a definite list maker for Dona Ana county. serpentine wash-trail reveals ever-increasing rock walls eventually leading to 200+ foot vertical rock faces, massive and ampitheatre shaped. serious climbing potential. after that a quick freshening then on to student carla's graduation night swimming party. her dad was responsible! I only drank with graduates!

Today we ate breakfast at Pancake Alley then went for golf at the university course. the beautiful and warm sunshine spontaneously gave way to strong wind gusts and slanted rain which pursisted for 3-4 holes, after which we witnessed a shady/breezy period which was quite nice and was followed by more pure sunshine 75/80 low wind new mexico jaw dropper, in addition to which we happened to be hitting the balls like fucking pros. bob got 2 and I got 3 on the same par 3 and we did that one in about literally 6 minutes. god I love cart golf, followed by a beer on the western facing patio, followed by La Posta.

now we will probably pass out! no pictures because camera is in Ely with wifey.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe - things are boring here. What's going on there. We need our fix of Joe commentary and life!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker