Wednesday, February 21, 2007

cruces redux

home again home again
jiggedy jig

returning from the twin cities and elk river (the triplet cities, truly), the mind races. what an intense and concentrated form of time we all experienced there this last weekend. the gamut was truly run.

as bad as it all was, I couldn't imagine the memorial going any better. People really came out of themselves to represent Chase Korte. it was such a moving mix of humor and sadness, anger and love, that I was speechless and numb. I've never felt like the way I did going to bed saturday night. thing of it was, waking up on sunday morning, I felt better. the memorial worked.

though in some ways I'm anticipating complications with chase's death. I see closure being something hard to achieve in this event. as close as chase was, as much as I loved him, he was only my friend. and how many friends can we all think of that have simply drifted off--died the death of geographic inconvenience? in other words, how can I make this experience more than just another out of touch friend? also in other words, I think I'm still in denial that chase is dead. it truly does not seem real. even after seeing so many people grieve for him I feel that he is within reach--he still seems real. this is a small part of the tension that has been wedged into our lives. ben and I have talked recently about the many contradictions of death, the impossibility of reconciling our feelings with actual events. From Ben I was surprised to hear this. That such a truly religious man could feel a similar ambivalence about these events, and still be completely in line with his beliefs, was oddly comforting.


hom again home again jiggidy jig.

visitors coming visitors coming

let me hear both sides, let me hear both

visitors coming visitors coming

women and children first!

tomorrow I'm going to be MC of the second annual Alma Open Mic Night, which is not actually open mic but an organized variety show with carefully regimented, non-open mic slots.

goals for me for the school studio--pug mill, new glazing set-up, workable slide booth for portfolio-quality pictures.

I'm organizing another trip to the summit of the organ needle. tentative date is march 17 and the group is mostly my americorps coworkers.

I got my slides in for the juried exhibition to the cruces museum of art, called, "From the Ground Up." I'll find out if I made it by March 16.

happy year of the pig!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker