Wednesday, February 28, 2007

cable, needle, dradle

so our grace period on the introductory comcast offer is over. no more grace. we were getting an amazing deal! of internet and 29 channels for around $55, but now that our grace period is over we're rocking like $64 total. I called to see if we could just ditch cable and only get internet. right now, our bill has internet listed as $45 a month and cable listed as $14 (plus tax plus plus). Well, if you get rid of TV, the price of internet goes up to... EXACTLY the same price as internet + TV.

What the fuck? Why is there an economic incentive to get cable TV? Why are we baited to beam in some bullshit that we never even watch? I think it's totally fucked up that they control the flow of information into our house with discounts. The customer sales rep just said the discount is for signing up for more "services" from comcast. Don't fucking play me like a drooling hamster; set a price for the service and let me choose which ones I want.

at any rate, the cable we receive is ridiculous. we have local channels, 10 spanish channels, and cspan and pbs. Don't get me wrong, I love cspan and cbs, but why are we paying for this? to bump up the the next level ("BASIC PLUS!!!!") would cost us an extra $45. is this normal? does most everyone just pay around $100 for information that should be free? (we're paying for adverts.) I told the rep that youtube and free wi-fi are taking over soon, and companies like his are soon to be a thing of the past and the sooner the better. I wanted him to tell me that my aggression was misplaced so that I could sympathize with his humanity. INstead he just fed me the company line of, "well everything we do is for a reason and our policies are quite fair and bla."

><><><><><

preparing this weekend for a coworker-based group climbing the needle again. I've achieved a low-level legendary status (i.e. not a legend at all, except in my own mind) amongst my coworkers for completing the needle hike. I didn't think it was too rigorous, and all of my direction was printed off of two websites. Hopefully after this weekend we'll all be legends, but the wind might be a factor on saturday. It has been horrendously windy for the past week, and it's supposed to continue like this through march--seasonal winds as the sailors around here call them. I think the wind will add some grit to our hike, but the coworkers are worried about the wind blowing us off the mountain. I don't think it's physically possible to get blown off a mountain; the wind will only add an element of misery which will further turn us to stone gods, which is what I thought the point of the trip was anyway.

hopefully the day is calm and nobody rolls an ankle at 8500 ft.

<><><><><><>

I had a dream about chase last night. chase and I were bopping around the city looking for his brother joel. everything was good old times with him and I, sharing all kinds of memories, except we didn't know where joel was. neither of us wanted to say that he might be dead, so we just traipsed along like normal. I remember how we talked about thai food in the dream and he was driving his bonneville. the cat woke me up by lying directly on my back and licking herself raw.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

we pay 175$ for cable and are in the process of cancelling 90% of our services in favor of internet based content. fuck em!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Raia said...

We pay $55 a month for the basic cable (ABC, NBC, PBS, and a few random CSPANs, ABCFam and TBS) and the high speed internet. We ran into the same problem; it's not any cheaper to just get the internet. In fact, if I remeber corretnly, it was actually cheaper to get the two than just the internet. I don't like it either. I wonder too if everyone else is out there shelling out $100 a month for cable TV and internet. Blows my mind.

It reminds me of when I worked fast food in high shcool and people would come in and think it was a better deal to just buy the sandwich and the pop, no fries thinking they are saving some money. I had to tell them it was actually cheaper to get the combo meal, even if they don't want the fries. The pop is virtually free when you buy the rest, if I remeber correctly.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker